Saturday, April 27, 2013

The token of His affection

This may not be earth-shattering to anyone else, but it rocked my world a little tonight. Do you have a stone of remembrance? I mean something God does that might be small or insignificant to others that rocks your world? I know I'm speaking too metaphorically still. Do you remember the story in the Old Testament when Israel first crossed the Jordan into the promised land? God had the priest begin walking into the raging river Jordan, holding the art of the covenant. The amazing thing is, the minute their feet touched the bottom of the river bed, the waters on either side "stood up in a heap" the Bible says. Yes, just like the Red Sea. And all of Israel crossed over. As soon as they had crossed, God told them to go gather from the bottom of the river bed some stones. Stone of remembrance. To never forget the miracle of God's presence that day.

Ok, here's mine as silly as it sounds. I have a bottom retainer I have had since high school. For some reason my bottom front teeth seem to keep moving out of place if I don't wear it, and so here I am 30 years later, at night wearing the dumb thing. But since I have had it, I can't tell you how many times I have lost this stupid little retainer. It costs 500 dollars and it's such a small thing to spend so much!! The first time I lost it, it was in the backyard. It was missing for a month and I was desperate. We finally found it in the backyard. Somehow it had survived both the dogs and the lawnmower. It was missing a very small piece of plastic in the back, but overall it was in great shape. I couldn't believe I found it in the backyard.

Tonight, years later it had been missing again, and once again, I had asked the Lord if He would graciously let me find it,  just as a sign that He has His eye on me. Do you know He let me find it? Once again, He didn't have to. I certainly didn't deserve this little token of His affection for me. But for some reason He seems to keep delighting in giving it back to me. Maybe its because its speaks to me of His attentive care, that He would bother Himself to show me again where it is. I mean isn't that the difference between those we know intimately, and those who are in our outer circle? It's when we love someone closely, that we are involved in the details of their lives, because they matter to us. It's hard for me to fathom that I matter that much to God. But I do. And for some strange reason He is pleased to use this silly little piece of plastic and my prayers to find it, to remind me year after year, that His lovingkindness reaches to the skies.
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me:)

No comments: