Saturday, November 13, 2010

Contentment: What's on your plate?

I find myself reflecting quite a bit about my single days in my walk with the Lord. I remember one particular day having a powerful lesson with the Lord. I was working at a private Christian school at the time and liked to go outside during my lunch period and enjoy some sunshine on my break. This particular day I was feeling very sorry for myself, bemoaning my singleness and in the spirit of authentic prayer told the Lord, "I am single, and starving here. You know I'm struggling to be content in my singleness and you won't provide me the meal of marriage." The Lord answered me as He frequently does with a picture and a word.

At once in my mind there was an image of a plate with a hot meal on it. And with the picture the Lord spoke this to my heart: "Child, everyday I give you exactly what you need for life and godliness. I prepare a table before you everyday. But some days you refuse to eat. You have decided that you get to pick the meal, and if you can't have what you want, you won't eat. That is why you starve." It was a humbling moment for me for sure. I felt somewhat like Job must have when the Lord answered him; there was some real food for thought, and I needed to shut my mouth and chew on it. And I find that lesson has stuck with me. Everyday the Lord in His infinite wisdom has gives me what He knows I need for today. Each and every day He brings to me His new mercies which are new every morning. The question is: Do I come to the well and drink? Do I eat the bread of life? I can receive His gifts to me for that day, even if they look to me to be burdens or broccoli. Or do I stubbornly decide that if certain things aren't on my plate I'm not being fed? It is my constant prayer that I respond to His daily manna with a hungry heart, knowing that He knows what I need so much better than I do. For God's invitation to His people is one of open abundant provision:

Isaiah 55 says, "Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money, come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and delight yourself in abundance. Incline your ear and come to Me. Listen, that you may live."

No comments: